How to support the local community and ecosystem
Preserving community + nature
Contribute with us
The Riviera Maya is a breathtaking region known for its white sand beaches, coral reefs, lush green jungles, stunning mangrove forests, and complex network of underground rivers and cenotes. All of these form the area’s incredible ecosystem, teeming with tropical plants and endless wildlife. Beyond its natural surroundings, the Riviera Maya is also home to a thriving community of Maya people, descendants of the ancient Mayas who once formed the area’s sprawling empire.
At Sandos Playacar, we strive to support both the ecosystem and culture of the place where we live, which is why we offer our guests the chance to participate in programs that help nature and the Maya community here in the Playa del Carmen area of the Riviera Maya.
Pack for a Purpose
If you have extra space in your suitcase when packing for your Riviera Maya vacation, you can take advantage of that space to bring donations for the people of the Maya community. Sandos Playacar works with the Pack for a Purpose organization so that our guests can bring clothing, school supplies and household items to donate to the local villages. A few times a year, Sandos Playacar staff goes to the villages to directly hand out your donations.
How you can stay eco-friendly during your stay?
Not only does Sandos Playacar have an extensive list of eco-friendly programs for recycling, beach cleaning, wildlife, and the local community, we also make it easy for our guests to give back to the environment and minimize their carbon footprint during their stay! Here are a few eco tips for your next Playa del Carmen vacation:
- Use our famous Sandos reusable plastic cups for your drinks and cocktails
- Say “no” to straws and avoid unnecessary waste
- Participate in Pack for a Purpose by bringing new clothing, school supplies, and household items to donate to the local Maya community
- Use our marked bins to separate your organic and inorganic trash
- Care for local wildlife: keep a safe distance and don’t feed the wild animals
- Use biodegradable sunscreen when swimming in the ocean
- Discover the region’s Maya and Mexican culture by visiting our four annual All-Nature Experience events at our sister resort Sandos Caracol: Spring Equinox, Summer Solstice, Autumn Equinox, and Day of the Dead