What makes us an Eco Resort?
Here at Sandos Caracol, we believe in caring for our natural surroundings and the local wildlife. Find out how we do it!
One green action at a time
Sandos Caracol is nestled in the heart of one of the planet’s most spectacular regions: the Riviera Maya. This destination is bursting with natural beauty like its incredible jungles, mangroves and coral reefs, and it’s our priority to protect the plants, wildlife and ecosystems where we live.
We have implemented the following programs and standards to care for our surroundings and make sure that our guests can experience a true eco vacation:
- Programs for energy-saving and alternative energy sources
- Water-saving programs, including a water treatment plant
- Recycling programs and containers
- The “Plant a Tree” program so guests can commemorate their stay by planting a native tree at the resort
- Environmental education programs for our guests and employees
- On-site organic vegetable garden and compost system fueled by the organic leftovers from our restaurants
- Strict animal policy to benefit the native wildlife that live at the resort
- On-site plant nursery with reproduction programs for regional palm tree species like chit, guano and nacax, all of which are currently endangered.
As a result of our efforts working with the Riviera Maya’s environment, we have received several local and international recognitions as an eco resort.